Every other Tuesday from 6:00 to 7:30 pm we hear from someone who works in the advertising industry. Our “general meetings” aren’t just learning opportunities. They are chances to make a break for it and beat every other sorry soul to the finish line, to meet and greet our future bosses, to spark a new campaign idea. They’re priceless.
Follow us on Instagram & Twitter for live updates from these meetings.
College is fun, but what separates ad club socials from the Mifflin Street Block Party is purpose. Think of it this way: when you’re competing for a job ten years from now, the difference between you and the other guy could be the connection you made at an ad club party.
One day, when you’re coding at your awesome internship, your boss might ask if you know the Adobe Creative Suite. “I’ve dabbled,” you’ll say, because that one time at an ad club workshop you learned how to use InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. If you’re curious about the kinds of things we dabble in, check out what we’re up to this semester.
Is there a membership fee?
Yes. We’re besties with the American Advertising Federation (AAF) and all our members are AAF members. The bulk of your annual ad club fee — $75 if you join/renew in the fall and $65 if you join in the spring — is spent on your academic year AAF membership. We set up your AAF account for you and spend the rest of the money on things like the pizza you get at every meeting.
What are the AAF benefits?
We work closely with our local AAF chapter, collaborating on events that bring you the best of these opportunities.
- Connect to advertising professionals.
- Receive career advice.
- Find internships and jobs.
- Develop and exercise your advertising talent.
- Build and gain leadership skills.
- Be recognized for your talent and leadership skills within your chapter, across your district and nationally.
- Participate in Mosaic Career Fairs & Conferences.
- Enter the Student American Advertising Awards.
- Visit advertising agencies and other related businesses.
- Go to the annual Insight+Interaction: Student Advertising Career Conference
- Meet people who share your passion, both on and off campus.
- Apply to win academic scholarships and grants.
- Receive member discounts to services and products that help you stay current and successful in the industry.
- Share ideas with other students and professionals.
What majors fit with ad club?
Most of our members are in or applying to the School of Journalism and Mass Communication or the Business School. But a lot of art, graphic design, creative writing and psychology students join the club too. To be honest, if you have a nice brain and a good sense of humor, you’ll fit right in. We’re a proud, diverse bunch of freaks.